Decking Out the Perimeter: Tips on Installing Skirting Boards Around Corners
Installing skirting boards in a room can really elevate its appearance, adding a touch of style and sophistication. There are a wide range of sizes, styles and materials to choose from. However, in order to get the perfect installation, accurately measuring the room is crucial. Mastering the measurement process can save you time, money and a lot of frustration in the long run. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of measuring for skirting board installation, so you can achieve the perfect finish.
1. Measure the length of each wall – The first step is to measure the length of each wall and record the measurement on a piece of paper. Make sure to measure the total length of each wall, covering it from end-to-end, including any alcoves, doorways or windows. Write down the measurement in meters or feet, as per your preference.
2. Measure the height from floor to ceiling – The next measurement requirement is the height of the wall. Measure the distance between the floor and ceiling. While measuring the height, make sure to measure at various points along the wall, including dips or bulges in the surface. You would also need to measure any sloping or stairway sections of the wall’s length.
3. Decide on the height of your skirting board – The third step is to decide what height you’d like your skirting board to be. This decision can be a personal preference; however, experts recommend a height between 70mm-100mm. Jaycee Timber, who provides a wide range of skirting boards, recommends considering the size of the room. Larger rooms can accommodate larger skirting boards, while smaller rooms may need smaller sizes.
4. Add the height of skirting board to the height of the wall – After deciding the required skirting board height, add it to the height of the wall measurement. For instance, if you select a 100mm height skirting board, and the height measured from the wall from floor to ceiling is 2500mm, the final total is 2600mm from the floor to the top of the skirting board.
5. Calculate the total length of skirting board required – Now that you know the height of the skirting board and the total perimeter of the room, you can calculate the required skirting board length. Just add up the total length of each wall (measured in step 1) and multiply it by the required height (measured in step 4). This gives you the overall length of skirting board you’ll need to purchase.
Accurately measuring for the installation of skirting boards plays a significant role in creating a stylish and polished finish. Be sure to measure everything twice before cutting it to avoid costly errors. Remember, you can always ask an expert for their guidance and measurement tips. A trusted supplier, such as Jaycee Timber, would be more than happy to assist you. With the correct measurements, selecting the right skirting board will complete the look of your room effortlessly. Happy measuring!